Two inspiring applications of natural language processing I came across recently, the authors blogged and open sourced it, so jump to their posts for the full report.
Making Your Music Choose Your Desktop Wallpaper, his approach summarized:
- Read song title and artist
- That’s straightforward
- Get lyrics for song
- Ofcourse, I’m not surprised you can find the lyrics of songs on the Internet
- Analyze sentiment of lyrics
- Smart, I wasn’t aware of IBM Watson’s Alchemy Language
- Search Flickr images with keywords from sentiment analysis and set desktop wallpaper
- Nice, this ties it all together!
- Follow President‘s tweets
- When a publicly traded company is mentioned, analyze sentiment of the tweet
- This uses Google’s Natural Language API
- Depending on sentiment, trade stock
Automation in stock trading is not new, but I thought it was a smart demo, to do it based on the statements of a person that influences a lot of people’s opinions and actions.